Monday, December 15, 2014

Kenneth B. Revestir: Lezo’s Pride


Kenneth B. Revestir: Lezo’s Pride
by
Melchor F. Cichon
December 15, 2014

It all started when someone from Aklan sent me a message asking me to translate in Aklanon  this phrase “Disaster resilient” because they were doing their Municipal Vision with Aklanon translation together with heads of an agency. They already had several translations but they were not satisfied with their works.

So the message sender tried to contact me.

After some minutes, I suggested the following:

Madasag makabawi sa kaeaeat-an
Madasag makaginhawa sa kaeaeat-an
Madasig makabutwa sa kaeaeat-an
Madasig makatibawas sa kaeaeat-an
Madali makabangon sa kaeaeat-an

Thinking that I was communicating with a gentleman, I read again his family name. I asked him whether the translation would be used in Lezo, Aklan thinking that the letter sender is from Lezo because the family name Revestir is a native of Lezo. But the message sender said that the translation would be used in Makato, Aklan.

I got curious if he is a native of Lezo. The message sender said yes. I further asked the message sender if Arnold Revestir, my former classmate in the elementary grades,  is familiar to him.

But the message sender said: I am a "she"! 

She further said,  “Parati pong napagkakamalan na lalaki ako dahil sa name ko. That’s why whenever I write my name, I always write Mrs. Hehehe.”

Unfortunately, when she sent me her request, she failed to write the abbreviation "Mrs" in her name.

Then she related to me how she first learned about me. She said: “If you could still recall po, I am the former Miss Kenneth Selorio Briones of Sta. Cruz-Biga-a, Lezo. A former teacher of Lezo Elementary School. I was the one who introduced you when Ma'am Della Mariano, our former principal,  invited you to be our guest speaker in one of our graduation ceremonies.”

Well,that event was memorable for me because I never had thought that I would be a guest speaker in my alma mater for I was always academically behind my classmates. Perhaps they chose me to be their guest speaker because of my accomplishments as a poet.

Now,Kenneth works as a District Supervisor in the Municipality of Makato, Aklan since 2011.

Based on our short exchanges of Facebook messages, I noticed that she can express her ideas clearly, so I asked her if she has the love for poetry or short story writing.

“A bit of poetry, Sir”, she said. “In my younger years of teaching,  I've been a coach and I really love writing although I  have no formal training on it. That's why, it was not so well developed.”

Since I love writing short profiles of some important personalities in our country, I asked Kenneth if I could interview her. She agreed.

Here are the results of our online interview:

Melchor F. Cichon (MFC): Wow, that indeed is a great news. I am so glad to know someone who is a District Supervisor. I am fond of writing short profiles of successful personalities. And I am thinking of featuring you in my blog, http://biographynotmine.blogspot.com/.  Would that be OK with you?

Kenneth Revestir (KR): Feeling so grateful, Sir...but I don't know if I'm deserving.

MFC: You are!

KR: Such a compliment from a person I really idolized and looked up too since the time I was assigned to introduce you...thanks so much Sir. I feel like I'm in Cloud 9...

MFC: If you give me that privilege to interview you, I will be in Cloud 10!

KR: hahaha...good vibes, Sir.

MFC: Would it be OK with you if I ask you some questions?

KR: Ok sir.


MFC:OK. What’s the greatest challenge you have experienced as a District Supervisor?

KR: To win the support of Makaton-on teachers, administrators and stakeholders since I'm not a native of the place and at the same time I'm the youngest to be promoted and most of my administrators are a bit older than I am.


MFC: How did you do it?

KR: I reached them out, Sir. I did not put any block on their way to reach me, too. And of course my Winning Smile, Welcoming Arms and Heart whenever they come to my office.

MFC: That indeed is a winning way of getting their support. But how did you get the support of those people who have attitude problem?

KR: I talk to them personally. I call them in the office as if we are talking in a friendly manner.

MFC: A refreshing way, indeed. When you were still in the grade school, what would you like to be?

KR: A teacher really, Sir...dream come true...maybe because my mother was also a teacher.

MFC: And your Papa, what is his background? How many siblings do you have?

KR: He was formerly employed at a Local Government Unit (LGU) when then mayor was Lolo Satur, the former Saturnino Fernandez, the father of our present mayor. Then he applied to DECS now DepEd as a Utility Worker of Lezo Elementary School,  now Lezo Integrated School until his retirement.

MFC: Ah,ok. You may or may not answer this: May I know your birthday? And the names of your parents?

KR: March 5, 1972 is my birthdate. My father is Johnston Dioso Briones and my mother is Alice Selorio Briones. I have 1 sister and 1 brother. Married to Engr. Salvador Allan I. Revestir with 2 sons, Vynz Keall, 11 years old, grade 6 and Al Nethan,4 years old.

MFC: I have an additional question. I hope you won't mind. Where did you take up your master's /doctoral degree?

KR: I finished my BEED and M.A in Educational Management at Aklan College, now Aklan Catholic College,  and my Ph.D. units with CAR at Aklan State University, Banga, Aklan po.

MFC: By the way, what's behind your name? Why Kenneth?

KR: hahaha...It's a man's name isn't it? It’s meaning is handsome...that makes me unique, Sir. According to my parents they were thinking of the name Azenith but they don't know what happened and how come that it became Kenneth...

MFC: Another one: what's your favorite flower. I have been looking at your pictures because I have been thinking of writing a haiga for you. I wish I could find a close-up picture of yours.

KR: I don't really have a particular favorite flower but I love flowers that are white because it symbolizes purity and red ones like roses for bravery.

MFC: Do you have any more comments? Any advice for our young ones. And to those who want to become a successful person.

KR: "Just give your best and reach for the stars."

MFC: OK. I am so happy for giving me the chance to interview you. I will surely work on this. I will let you see the draft before I will post it in my blog. Good night and enjoy.

KR: It's indeed a pleasure, Sir. Good night and God bless.


That's Mrs. Kenneth  Revestir, someone who is one of the most successful Lezonians.


No comments:

Post a Comment